Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 2.

Vienna is the most beautiful city that I have ever been to. No negotiations.

Sleeping last night was a little bit of s struggle. I woke up at 5:30 am completely ready to start my day. Back home 5:30 am is 10:30 pm so my body basically thought it was waking up from a long nap. It was alright though because we had to eat breakfast at the hotel and be ready to check out by 8:30 am. My first Austrian breakfast was different than I am used to. It involved a lot of bread and cheese which I am pleased to announce I enjoy. Hot chocolate too! It's not everyday someone makes you that for breakfast. After finishing the continental breakfast we were off to the Austria-America Institute. It is located right in the middle of downtown Vienna right across from the Opera house! Vienna is just the coolest city. There are so many things to do and see. After a short orientation we walked over to the naschmarkt for lunch. It is this colorful open air market where you can buy fresh fruit, baked goods, desserts, or grab a bite to eat. Amelia and I ended up choosing a restaurant based on the menu. Since neither of us can read German we picked a place with pictures on the menu. I know. I know.  We are pretty bright. William and Chip joined us and it turned out that our waitress spoke Cantonese which William also speaks so he was able to snag us some water.

Side note- Okay Europeans don't drink water. Seriously what is with that? I grew up my whole life hearing "8 glasses a day!" Here people look at you strange if you just ask for regular water at a restaurant. I may get dehydrated. Sure you can have soda, juice, or heck even beer but no water!

The  place we went to was Vietnamese and I had some chicken dish. Pretty delish. Funny that I have been in Austria for 2 days and only eaten Italian and Vietnamese food. after lunch we returned to the Institute where we waited to meet our host family. Nerve racking much? Waiting to meet the person that is going to house you for the next three much takes a lot out of you.

The Institute has this deal that the last person to get picked up by there host family gets a free lunch. Lucky for Kayla and I it was us!  The lady that we are living with is great. We live out in the 13th district- mostly a residential area. We live in this cute cottage like house on Felix Street. Feel free to google earth my address.

Felixgasse 10
1130 Wien, Austira

I have my own bedroom and its great. I haven't had one of these in a while and I am going to enjoy every minute of it. Fraulein Miller cooked us a traditional Austrian dinner of wiener schnitzel. It was really good. We drank apple juice. No water. Just saying.

Walking around Vienna today just made me realize how much there is that I want to learn about the culture. It is so different being here than I thought it would be. I'll admit it I miss American mainly because I understand the culture. Feeling dumb repeatedly throughout the day is never fun, but I will get there. Learning German in class is going to help me leaps and bounds. I can't wait to be able to figure this city out. One things that is just stunning is the architecture. Every building is beautiful. I can't wait to start photographing it. It has been raining of and on for the past two days so I haven't been able to really take my camera out much. The weather has been very similar to western Washington since I have arrived. I'll post pictures of my house and room once I get all unpacked.

P.S. I only can get on certain websites and the house I am staying at and Facebook is not one of them. If you would like to contact me use email. I think it will be the most efficient. krystle.wahn@gmail.com

Another great day in Vienna. Classes tomorrow. Huzzah.

Goodnight :]

No comments:

Post a Comment