Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 44. ROME

POPE DAY. 
Have you ever seen the Pope in person? I have. :] 

On Wed. morning we woke up early to go explore Vatican City. We met the tour guide at 9am and then she ushered us in the Vatican. The Pope was set to arrive around 10:15 and then afterwards we would start our actual tour of the Vatican Museum and grounds.
These are the Pillars that surround Vatican City. 

Did You know that Vatican City is actually it's own country? Smallest country in the world. I am embarassed to admit that until our tour guide announced it I had no idea. They have their own money, postal system, and police (which are Swiss...).

The Pope was running a little late so we didn't get to see him until about 10:45. This bright orchestra music started coming and all of a sudden there was the Pope riding around on this golf cart looking car waving to the crowd. The people in the square went nuts. Cheering, laughing, pointing, ignoring the guards and standing on charirs. It was really fun. The Pope gave everyone their a blessing. So techincally I have been personally blessed by the Pope. Alright.

After seeing the Pope we started our tour and boy was it a long one. I have no idea how tourist come to Rome and do things without a tour guide. I would have been so lost. I learned so much about Michelangelo. He was a pretty amazing sculptor that was then forced to be a painter.  Seeing the Sistine Chapel was incredible. I have been in a lot of cathedrals since I began this study abroad and none of them were as grand as this one. The main painting above the alter took Michelangelo five years to complete and that was just one wall! I have a much greater appreciation for art. I consider myself much more cultured for having seen all of these things. Now I just need to study them.
 This is the Pope. I could've touched him if there hadn't been a million guards surrounding him. 

Inside the Vatican Museum 


St. Petersburg Cathedral 

The Vatican tour took 4 hours and by the end we were all exhausted and ready for the beach. The weather was even better than it had been the previous day so we were all itching to put on our suits and get in the water. It takes about an hour to get outside of Rome to the beach. We went to a different spot and ended up paying 3 euros to get on an enclosed beach. It was beautiful. I took a very relaxing nap.
 
For dinner we hit up this place called the Old Wild West. Yes. In Italy we ate "American" food. The best part about this restaurant was that there was a map of Utah right above the door. Apparently we are still cowboys that like to chase Indians. The inside decor was complete with covered wagons and tepees. Hilarious.

Provo didn't make the cut.

Rome was the pefect mix of historical sites and beach relaxation. None of us wanted to leave the next day. Good thing our train didn't leave until 4:45pm so we could spend a little bit more time at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment