Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 30. Salzburg

I woke up at 4:15am to get ready to head to Salzburg. Kayla and I had to catch the streetcar at 5:30 in order to make it to the train station at 6:15. It was semi stressful. I don't recommend waiting until last minute to pack when you have to fit it all in your backpack. We had to run to catch the street car but ultimately we made it with time to spar. We bought some delicious breakfast. Pastries anyone?

The train ride to Salzburg was about 4 hours. I tried to sleep but found myself captivated by a book called The Woods. It is by Harlan Coben and his mystery novels just have a way of sucking me in. With my iPod blasting and a book in hand the train ride flew by. We ended up in Salzburg and let me just address this issue we had called the weather.

IT WAS TERRIBLE. 

I am from Western Washington and normally I wouldn't complain because I am used to it, but this weather was just unreal. There was a constant stream of moisture from the sky that never ceased. Ever. It didn't let up once. It just poured all day. So much for running through the streets singing songs from The Sound of Music. Instead I spent the day umbrella hoping from one person to the next hoping I wouldn't die. Cold wet feet are never a good thing. 

Now that I am done with my rant on the weather I can tell you that we did actually manage to have quite an enjoyable day. After a rainy tour of the city we camped out in a cafe and grabbed hot chocolate and a pastry to warm us up. We braved the rain once more to go up to the Hohensalzburg Fortress. 

The view from the top was amazing. I just wish we could have seen it with clear blue skies instead of gray ones. Kristin, Jessica, Whitney, Kayla, and I spent the whole afternoon exploring the various museums that they had. we stayed nice and dry. We had to be back at the train station by 7:45 so we made our way down the hill and went in search of some food. We found Kebaps, my favorite. 

We rejoined the group and everyone was wet and freezing. The Plummers watched Robin Hood twice that day. Once in German and once in English. That's one way to combat the rain. I liked Salzburg. I want to go back when the weather is nicer. Here are some photos from the trip. 



[Graveyard for Imperial Court]

[Delicious Pastry]


[Hand Painted Eggs at the Christmas store]

[Salzburg through the rain and fog]


[Kebap. Yes.]



No comments:

Post a Comment