Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 43. ROME



Rome day #2 was dedicated to the beach. Unfortunately when we woke up it was raining! Appropriate because it seems to rain in every single city that we have been to. We decided that instead of heading directly to the beach we would make our way over to the Pantheon. After sleeping in a moseying over there we arrived at about noon and the clouds had burned off revealing nothing but blue skies. We were all really excited.
    The Pantheon is the largest dome in Italy that is constructed without any support rods. It is just cement. I was so glad that I had a bunch of people with me that have taken art history classes. Without them I would have been so lost this entire trip. The dome lets in light and because it was initially cloudy when we got there the light was much more concentrated. It was a really beautiful building. After spending time there taking pictures and such we went wandering and found a really neat cathedral.
     Cathedrals always surprise me in big cities because it doesn't matter how loud it is outside. When you get inside it is a sanctuary. They are always peaceful. Unless there is a tourist group with a tour guide. I just took a moment to sit down and think about things. Ever since I had to do the whole pray in a Cathedral thing for my writing class I have no issues with offering up a prayer in a public place.
    After the cathedral we grabbed snacks and headed to the beach. I love the beach. There is just something about the rolling waves and the warm sand between your toes that instantly makes you a happier person. i got to swim in the Mediterranean Sea. How cool is that? The beach was a gray sand beach which I had never seen before so cross that off my life to do list.
     For dinner we hit up this local restaurant that our tour guide David from the previous day mentioned. I love eating with the locals. Makes me feel like a lot less of a tourist, which I like. I got pizza. Pizza in Italy. Could life get anymore perfect? I don't think so.
    It was also Jana's birthday so we celebrated back at the hostel with a granola bar and some nutella. Her animal birthday card was pretty sweet too.
Pillar of Light. 

 
 Construction?! Really. Shouldn't ruins be kept ruined?

My current/future Roomie!

On the beach. 


This pizza may look gross... but rest assured it was one of the most delicious pizzas I have ever had. And yes there was egg on it.

Whitney is one of the most hilarious people I have ever met.

Let Jana's birthday celebration begin! 

Another successful day in Rome? Check. Check. Check. 

No comments:

Post a Comment