Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 75.

Sometimes I do exciting things.

I went to the Flea market. It is located right in the middle of downtown Vienna in the 8th district. Even though we went early It was blazing hot and there were a million people there. I have always thought of a flea market as an over priced garage sale, but I bartered with some people and got some cool things for cheap.

Starbucks proved to be an integral part off our day. It offered us shelter from the heat. I snuck in a sandwich and muffin from Anker the bakery. Stealth. All stealth.

I made my first visit to the Belvedere. It was the most amazing Museum I have been in thus far. I am not a museum girl. I have never had the opportunity to take an art history class so a majority of the time I feel lost and confused, but not this time. I paid 3 euros for my audio guide and walked through hours of Impressionist art. On this journey I discovered something. I LOVE IMPRESSIONISM. The way that it correlates with the progression of theater is something that I have never put together before. This type of art spoke to me in a way that nothing has. Yes. That sounds cheesy, but it's true. Never before have I had the desire to merely sit and gaze upon a painting. In this museum I did. I am becoming cultural guys. Watch out.

Here are a few of my favorite pieces-

Flaming Jane- By: Frederic Leighton
This photo does not even begin to do this painting justice. 



The Kiss- By: Gustav Klimt 
It is huge is person. The detail is amazing.  


Four Trees- By: Egon Schiele
This tree second from the left symbolizes Sciele as a painter. 

Basically I may have just become a huge art nerd. I love it. Then that night we went out for dinner to a cute little Italian restaurant tucked away in the 6th district. Everyone was getting ready for the life ball that Vienna hosts annually. We were watching woman in floor length ball gowns and men in tuxes walk past along with tons of people that were dressed up in "Earth" attire. Each year the life ball has a different theme and some people go pretty nuts. After dinner we headed over to the red carpet to check out that action. It was CRAZY. There were so many people standing outside the Rathaus.  

Lucky for us Whoopi Goldberg and Bill Clinton decided to grace us with their presence. There was also a opening ceremony based off of a Midsummer Night's Dream. Boys in speedos throwing fairy dust. What a night. Google it if you are interested. I can't be held responsible for posting things that could potentially scar you for life. 

Over all it was another epic win of a day. Less than 2 weeks left now. I may be freaking out a touch. 

Love, 
Krystle 

No comments:

Post a Comment